A classroom is one of the most important workplaces both, for students and for teachers. With ergonomic furniture, a classroom becomes a positive working environment with personal development and learning at the centre.
Now, many of us may not be aware of the term “ergonomics furniture”. So, let’s find out what it is and how can you create good ergonomics in school.
What is Ergonomics Furniture?
Ergonomic furniture is specially designed to support function and comfort for human use. It reduces the risk of musculoskeletal problems, back issues, joint pains, neck pains, arthritis, restricted organs and poor blood pressure. It is like creating a varied and flexible environment that supports the different needs and abilities of both students and teachers.
For furniture to be considered ergonomic, it must:
- Enhance natural movement and flow of the human body, rather than restricting.
- Support natural S posture of the spine.
- Easily adjustable to accommodate a diverse range of people.
- Encourage physical movement during the day.
- Put usability ahead of convenience or aesthetic.
- Reduce stress of joints, bones and muscles.
How to Create Good Ergonomics In School?
Do you know good posture, lighting, ventilation, acoustics and a flexible environment that creates variation, improves the well-being of the students and makes it easier to maintain a high level of concentration in them? Therefore, it is very crucial to furnish adjustable solutions and products for students and teachers.
Choosing the Right School Desk
- Always choose a desk that has been specially developed for the school environment.
- It should be available in different height ranges for students from pre-school classes to high school.
- A height-adjustable school desk makes it possible to modify the desk to the right height for both sitting and standing work.
- Desktops with a linoleum surface or with hardwearing sound-absorbing tops like laminate or chipboard are a good choice from an acoustic point of view.
- Sound absorbers under the desktop in rooms with particularly stringent requirements for the acoustic environment can be a great idea.
Choosing the Right School Chair
- A right kind of chair is decisive in giving the students an ergonomic work posture.
- A school chair should be chosen to suit the student’s age and should be height adjustable.
- Always choose a chair with a tilt that follows the body, as it encourages natural movement, so that students feel better and can achieve more.
- When we lean forward over a desk, our feet tend to swing backwards. Therefore, high school chairs should have a footrest both in front and behind the seat to relieve the strain.
- The footrest of the chair should be height-adjustable to suit the student’s height.
By choosing the right furniture for the classroom, it is possible to create learning environments that stimulate the learning process and make teachers’ work easier.